Please feel free to share this blog with your friends! All comments welcome!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Romney Admits Mistakes & Taxes Are Fair


In Romney’s CBS 60 Minutes interview that aired September 23, 2012 host Scott Pelley said “Now, you made on your investments, personally, about $20 million last year. And you paid 14% in federal taxes. That's the capital gains rate. Is that fair to the guy who makes $50,000 and paid a higher rate than you did?” Romney said “It is a low rate. And one of the reasons why the capital gains tax rate is lower is because capital has already been taxed once at the corporate level, as high as 35%.” Pelley “So you think it is fair?” Romney replied “Yeah, I think it’s — it’s the right way to encourage economic growth, to get people to invest, to start businesses, to put people to work.” My mind starts twirling – jobs are created by the company making a profit – the profit comes from people buying the product – both of us should be taxed at a higher rate than the guy who does nothing but gives the company a loan and makes a profit off the loan.    
Pelley said: People wonder, "Does Romney believe the things that he says?" Romney replied: “The principles I have are the principles I've had from the beginning of my political life. But have I learned? Have I found that some things I thought would be effective turned out not to be effective? Absolutely. If you don't learn from experience, you don't learn from your mistakes. Why, you know, you ought to be fired.” This issue has me somewhat at odds. Romney has admitted that he’s made mistakes and fortunately he’s been given an opportunity to change. Obama has made mistakes but Romney doesn’t think he should be given an opportunity to make things right. Romney flips-flops constantly; on September 5 a clip of Romney’s and Ted Kennedy’s debate on October 25, 1994 was shown Romney said “I believe abortion should be safe and legal in this country” and Ted said: “I have supported the Roe v. Wade, I am pro choice, my opponent is multiple choice”. I believe you have to have a stand before you can learn from your mistakes. This is only one example. Romney has no experience in foreign policy, considering the current world turmoil and his one week trip overseas (made friends with one country while ticking off 4 or 5), in my mind, I’d rather give opportunity to the guy who can fix his mistakes rather than to one who will make more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment